Thursday, July 06, 2006

Never do a bad job well!

Great advice I once received from the Nap Queen, however, I have failed to do a bad job well and in no way on purpose.

On Friday my DEAR friends (not to be confused with the "dead" friends from the previous post, thanks JHC) the M&Ms entrusted to the Shoe their dog Kona and their fish Dirk as they traveled to the great north for a couple of weeks. All the children at the Shoe were thrilled to play with Kona as our beagle had passed away in April. The children played with Kona most of Friday night and as Kona is an outside dog when we went to bed on Friday night she seemed to be resting comfortably on the patio. The kids had done their part of the job and tired out dear Kona.

Saturday morning I was awaken by one of the children. I grabbed a cup of coffee and decided we would go outside and visit Kona before it got to hot. I quickly realized no Kona!!!!! The fence at the Shoe is very old and in need of some repairs so I realized Kona must have escaped through one of the weak spots in the fence. We spent most of Saturday morning searching for Kona. With every errand we ran we would drive through the neighborhood calling for her. Alas at around 3:00 in the afternoon, I admitted to myself we were not going to find her. The Old Man had completed the paperwork at the animal shelter just in case she ended up there. It was my job to call M&M and let them know what happened just in case someone had called them to report her lost. Later that evening we got a call from M&M and someone had found Kona and was keeping her in their back yard until we could pick her up! I was so incredibly thankful!!!

How I wished the story ended there. Last night when I went home I smelled something odd in the kitchen. I first checked the Doodlebug's diaper, not her. I checked the trash, not there but I could tell I was getting closer. Looked up on the bar in the kitchen and there floated Dirk at the top of his bowl. Now I have an entire aquarium of fish that have been fine for more than a year. Granted Dirk's water was a little cloudy but it was that way when M&M brought him over and they stated not to worry about it. Now I have to send The Old Man out to see if he can take the frozen Dirk carcass to the pet store and find a twin.

Lesson learned: never entrust your pets to The Shoe. (however I would like to defend myself by saying Tammy's dog has visited on more than one occassion and survived each time)

7 Comments:

Blogger Tammy said...

Yes, but he only survived by getting his rocks off on the Old Man's arm. :)

Poor Dirk.

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So to you plan to "fess up" to your "dead" friends or try to pass the new fish off as the "dead" Dirk?!

9:18 AM  
Blogger Nap Queen said...

Oh no!!!!! I have had to take many a pet to the emergency room while petsitting, and although I knew it wasn't my fault, is still sucks. That saying is soooo true!

9:18 AM  
Blogger The Old Lady said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Wow. Your like a pets worst nightmare!!LOL so sorry it went down like that....I know the stress

1:08 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

Oh my. :)

Of course, on the bright side, a lot fewer people will now ask you to pet sit for them. :)

That's how I got out of doing laundry as a teenager - threw a red shirt in one load and never had to do it again ;)

If it makes you feel better, fish in a bowl tend to die rather frequently anyways.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Lynilu said...

I figure that poor dead Dirk is your punishmnent for calling us your dead friends! Be careful!

Mostly, I'm glad to know that all your friends aren't dead, tho. It put a definite pall on the desire to read your blog!

As carrie said, fish in bowls are generally short lived. probably has nothing to do with you.

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home