Thursday, September 14, 2006

Life Ain't Always Beautiful....

But the struggles make you stronger, and the changes make you wise. Life ain't always beautiful but it's a beautiful ride! -- Gary Allen


Tuesday I went to The Firm in a funk. I realized I could not, nor did I really want to, compete in the billable hours race with my peers. I realized I was having to work with other attorneys in order to get enough work to keep me busy. I've worked pretty much exclusively for the same two attorneys for over three years. I didn't like the idea of having to branch out.

When I returned from lunch those two attorneys told me they were leaving The Firm. Now would not be an appropriate to discuss if I could go with them. I like to think I am a pretty smart girl and I know they do not have the volume of business to justify my expense.

While I have already began work on my next adventure, security doesn't make me less sad. I think this is the closest to a divorce I hope I will ever experience. Five days a week (and sometimes seven) I spend a majority of my waking hours with them. I worry when they are sick and rejoice in their victories. I know their families and what is going on in their lives. While I have no doubt we will continue to have a working relationship of some sort, there is just no way it will be the same.

I guess this goes along with things happen for a reason.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loss is difficult, period. It is true that when we work with people for a period of time they become "family" of sorts, even if you wouldn't claim them outside the office. But maybe, just maybe, their replacements will turn out to be gifts to you. Who knows. Good luck.

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant to say that I really love that quote. I'm stealing it. Just so you know. The message is awesome.

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home